Are you just sick of it all already?
Maybe you are just sick of it all and, well, I apologize. ‘Cause I’m not sick of it yet. It’s been 8 long years, baby, eight years of nothing but bad news getting worse. Eight years of torture, war, mass extinction, melting glaciers and despair. And the end of those eight years of hell is close, hope is near, change is comin’, the dark days are numbered and life will begin again … Do you feel me? You’ve got to feel me.
It’s a crazy beautiful fall day here, sky crisp and bright blue. Leaves – oh, the fall colors of the leaves! Growing up in SoCal, I never really believed those lovely Little Golden Books, the ones with daffodils and tulips for spring, flaming gold and scarlet trees in autumn, drifting snowflakes and cheery sleds for winter. We got Santa Ana winds and wildfires changing to rain that oil-slicked roads and caused massive pileups, and then what ho! It was smog-alert season again, and there goes a child’s year of seasons. Not so in P-town, baby. Here, we get the best of them all: crocuses and tulips, summer thundershowers, drifting technicolor leaves, frosty mornings and enough snow most years for at least a petite snowman. And I loves it.
Domestic day ahead for me — a 4th birthday party to attend, a costume to make, some sewing to do. And, I hope, some writing time. I’ve got some ideas percolating …
Quick-quick like (I’m doing my early-morning grading, 22 essays to wade through before 7:30) —
- I miss writing, I miss all y’alls!
- I am immensely relieved about the state of our union and the way this election is headed. I am watching the dissolution of the Republican Party as we knew it, and, well, what could be more joyous than that? And what sweetens the deal even more is that the architects of its current evil incarnation (Cheney, Rove, Gingrich et al) are here, watching. In Cheney’s case, watching from a hospital bed. Mwha-ha-ha … no that is not a chuckle at Cheney’s “unspecified ailment.” As Madonna said about Sarah Palin, “Get that b!#@h out of here. But I love her soul.”
- I am now pondering the possibility that Cheney has a soul, a theory for which there has been only negative evidence thus far.
- I do wish Reagan were present in some state to realize that the “trickle-down” house of cards he foisted on us has come to its logical conclusion, and that his real legacy is the second Depression facing us.
- I have this song stuck in my head:
- I am sticking to most of my resolutions, and they’re working out surprisingly well! I may (may, might, could) start cycling partway to work. Haven’t actually made that one a resolution. Will have to invest in more technical rain gear if so …
A cute Echo story: As the final bodyslam debate was drawing to a close, I asked Echo (plopped on her pink bunny chair, eating snacks and watching along with us): “So, Echo, look at these two guys, the ones talking. Which one do you like more?”
Without a second’s pause: “Ummm, the new one.”
So, take it from the youth. Another ringing endorsement for change we can believe in.